Thursday, February 17, 2011

Teacher Appreciation

This week at E's preschool we had teacher appreciation week.  Two moms organized a huge "garden" display in the front lobby using the kids handprints (with their pictures on the front) cut from colored paper overlaid, on a heart, with a flower stem and leaves.  There is green grass too!  And the cutest poem.  I'll have to take pictures tomorrow to post.
Each day this week parents provided treats for the teachers, flowers, chocolate, balloons and pastries.  Tomorrow is my day to give them a treat!  I've been wanting to do this project for a while-
It was not super simple, but was  definitely worth the effort!  E goes to the absolute best preschool in the whole world (I'm not biased at all!), so I didn't mind the extra work and patience needed to make nine of these.  Here are all nine, packaged and ready to go.
Here's what you need:
  • Canvas bag (I used the Medium size-14"w x 13"h x 3"d)
  • Doilies (I used 10")
  • Fabric paint
  • Spray adhesive
Here's what you do:
  • Spray the back of the doily with the spray adhesive and follow the instrustions for a TEMPORARY bond.  I waited 4 mins before adhering.
  • Put a couple of sheets of newspaper in the bag to prevent the paint from bleeding through.
  • Position the doily on the corner of the bag and firmly press in place.
  • Now the tricky part...I used a foam brush to paint over the doily and I tried to gently dab, or else it just bleeds through and under the doily, making a big, globby mess!
  • After you paint all the way around, remove the doily, mine came up very easily.  Let dry.
  • For the initial, decide what size and font you want and print out the intial or cut freezer paper with a Cricut.  I didn't do the whole freezer paper thing this time like I did here for the snowmen shirts, but I went old school and rubbed a pencil on the back of the printed letter, then positioned it on the bag and traced over the front of the letter, leaving a pencil line drawing of the letter on the bag. 
  • Then I painted in the letter, let it dry and I was finished!

This cool idea was not mine!  I found it a long time ago here at under the sycamore
Can't wait to give them away tomorrow!

Here are some other neat things for teacher appreciation:
Hope you find something that you can use to thank the teachers in your lives!
D


No comments:

Post a Comment